Winter Months: Helpful Homeowner Tips
As we enter the colder months of the year, it is important to take advantage of the following helpful tips to ensure your home is ready for Winter.
1) Heating Your Home. Set your thermostat ten degrees cooler for up to 8 hours of each day and can save big $$$ on your electric expenses. If your home has a programmable thermostat, utilize this feature to "set it and forget it" to assist in these savings.
2) Ceiling Fans. Switch your fan blades to rotate to counter clockwise and set a low speed, it will help evenly distribute the heat in your home as it rises.
3) Water Heater Temperature. Check the temperature on your water heater. If it is currently higher, try setting it to a normal 120 degrees to further energy savings during the colder months.
4) Gutter Health. Make sure your gutters are free of debris. This will help prevent backups of ice and water during any major weather events to avoid damage from leaks.
5) Insulated Pipes and Water Supplies. Inspect all outdoor water sources to verify they are insulated properly and/or have been sufficiently shut off and purged before the first freeze to avoid busted pipes.
6) Windows & Doors. Drafty windows and doors are literally letting money escape into thin air. Go through your entire home and make sure all windows are closed and latched properly to avoid drafts or leaks. Inspect each exterior door to ensure your weather stripping is in good shape and creates a complete seal.
Written by Robin Campbell